Monday, April 14, 2014

Do you like your own voice?

Yes, did you ever listen to yourself speak? I bet you always do. But do you like what you hear? Sure enough, you do!

Now, do you think what you hear about your own voice is what the others hear too? Well, this question amazed me while I was on a call for over 2 hours with one of my clients. So, I switched on the voice recorder on my phone and let it record my voice for the remainder of my call. Later, I played back my recording to listen to my own voice... I was surprised! I realized that this was the voice that was heard on the other end of the line during my call... and I was happy about it.. =)

So, this is what I found. The voice I hear when I listen to myself speak is very different from the voice I hear played back from the recorder. There is an explanation to this - something on the lines of external and internal stimuli, where the person listening to you hears only the external stimulus of your voice, while you hear both internal and external stimuli of your voice. It was an amazing discovery and I involuntarily got to analyze my speech making mental notes about altering it for a better perception from the listener.

Curious, I checked if there were any singers who disliked their own voices, and found some pretty interesting information. Voices we perceive as beautiful or pleasant, may not necessarily be perceived the same way by the person voicing it. .  Hmm.. I guess this thought has helped produce some beautiful music...

eh! I'll get back to my business.
Nevertheless, try it.. See if you love your voice or hate it. !

Cheers..

No comments:

Post a Comment